UNIT 1: THE AMERICAN CHARACTER
1. Why is the US called “a land of diversity”?
• There is great diversity in the ethnic makeup of America . “A unique culture of self-reliance, independence, resourcefulness, pragmatism and novelty.
• Diversity: The country’s geography and population.
+ Geography: There are tall mountains and flat cornfields, forests, rolling hills, the climate, too, covers all extremes in southern Florida, different from attitudes and behavior people.
+ Population: The US is the third largest nation in population after China and India. About 82% white, 13% black, 4% Asian and Pacific Islander, 1% Native American, Hispanics are 12%.
2. What three population trends are predicted?
• Growing population: crowed conditions lead to closer friendships or more disputes
• Increasing average of American: “American is a country of young men”.
• Growing ethnic and racial minority groups: Change will affect attitudes, values and customs.
3. What American attitudes are related to democratic ideal?
• The American attitudes related to democratic the beliefs in:
+ Making decision by voting
+ Taking parts in making the rules they must live by.
+ Equality of opportunity
+ Bringing about positive social change.
4. What does majority rude mean?
• Majority rules is a decision rule that selects alternatives which have a majority, that is more than half the votes.
• Opposing American participation in the Viet Nam War.
• Fighting for rights of minorities: Hispanics, gays, les-bians.
5. What are some examples of the American pioneering spirit?
• Some examples of American pioneering spirits are:
+ The desire to make a fresh start in a new place and make major changes in their lives.
+ They love of science and technology
+ The faith in improvement.
UNIT 3: AMERICAN FAMILY LIFE
10. How has American family life...