Animal Cell: Analogies and Functions
1. Cell Membrane
* Function: A layer that covers a cell’s surface and acts as a barrier between the inside of a cell and the cell’s environment
* Analogy: When you are hiding under a blanket, it’s your barrier and protection just like the cell membrane is the cells protection.
* Function: In a eukaryotic cell, a membrane-bound organelle that contains the cell’s DNA
* Analogy: The nucleus is like brain of your body because it is the brain of the cell.
* Function: As proteins are made, they cross the ER membrane, entering the ER and then, the ER membrane pinches off to form a vesicle around the proteins
* Analogy: RER is like highway because they transport things back and forth.
* Function: Enzymes of the smooth ER performs various functions, such as making lipids and breaking down toxic substances
* Analogy: This is like factory because it produces and makes many things just like SER.
5. Golgi Body:
* Function: A organelle that helps make and package materials to be transported out of the cell
* Analogy: Like a mail service where they help send packages to other people because the Golgi body, sends and helps package materials out of the cell.
* Function: The cell organelle that is surrounded by two membranes and that is the site of cellular respiration, the energy house
* Analogy: The mitochondrion is like a electrical unit of a house or building because it is the main power house of the cell.
* Function: A cell organelle where protein synthesis occurs
* Analogy: A ribosome is like fingers because they make things like proteins do.
* Function: A fluid-filled vesicle found in the cytoplasm of plant cells or protists
* Analogy: Vacuoles are like refrigerator or freezer by holding food and drinks just like what a vacuole really does.