Case: Making IT Happen at BCPL Kochi Refinery: Defining New Paradigms of Operational Excellence through IT Transformation
Submission date: 26/02/2015
1. Do you think the IT implementation at BPCL KR as a successful implementation? If so Why?
Yes ,IT implementation at BPCL Kochi was a success.
* Each technology supported in holistic decision making and execution in achieving operational excellence.
* It increased visibility and Optimization within the plant and across downstream supply chain.
* It made use of state-of-the-art technologies like SAP, ERP, AIMS which decomposed the system into modules with a single data source.
2. Do you see any challenges in managing the change due to IT implementation in large public sector organizations like BPCL KR, located in India? How did BPCL KR manage the challenges?
Challenges faced were :
* Assessment of the business value generated by the system
* Identifying the system and the packages to be maintained was a challenge
* Change Management
* Evaluation of the value generated by the business
BPCL managed the changes through the following ways:
* Conducting seminars workshops and training programs conducted throughout the organization
* A special in-house group bulletin called “Mantradhwani” was released to the aware about the different aspects of the implementation of SAP R/3
3. What were the Critical success Factors for the IT implementation? How these factors are illustrated in this case?
The critical success factors for the implementation of IT were:
Critical success factors of IT implementation are:
* Just-in-time training methodology.
* Early technology adoption strategy
* Risk mitigation strategy
* Top management support
* Risk Mitigation strategy
4. Do we have any risks in product implementations like ERP? If so what were the major risks during the implementation of SAP and how it was...