Sample Case Assignment Analysis Format
MRKT 5000 Online Course
(Instructional notes in red)
(Your name here)
Can Pepsi make Pepsi One the One? (This is a case from a previous edition of the Marketing text – not currently in your text book. This is only a sample analysis to demonstrate analysis format only)
Pepsi One is an innovative product launched in the market by PepsiCo to keep the image of innovation, fast movement, and competitiveness. The case includes the steps of a new-product development process. Emphasizing the launch of the product and the ways that Pepsi One is getting more familiar to the target market. Pepsi One is becoming a successful product by getting more market share from the main competitor Coca-Cola.
(Each case to be analyzed will be read from the text, with specific questions assigned)
Key Marketing Issues
• Line extension – Development of a product that is closely related to existing products in the line but meets different customer needs. Pepsi One is a product that tries to differentiate itself from the normal diet products, to reach different target markets.
• Product modification – Change in one or more characteristics of a product. Pepsi changed the sweetener to acesulfane potassium (ace K) to create the Pepsi One.
• Aesthetic modification – Changes to the sensory appeal of a product. Pepsi tried to appeal as a not a new diet drink but a new way of tasting a soda.
• New-product development process – A seven-phase process for introducing products: Idea generation, Screening, Concept testing, Business analysis, Product development, Test marketing, Commercialization. The PepsiCo performed all phases of new-product development in order to ensure the product would succeed in the market.
• Product differentiation – Creating and designing products so that customers perceive them as different from competing products. Pepsi One tries to...