The Catacombs of Paris or Le Catacombs de Paris (in French) is an underground ossuary in Paris, France. It is also sometimes called Quarries of Paris or "les Carrieres de Paris".The ossuary was created around the 17th century and to this day, holds the remains of 6 million people. It is made up of caverns and tunnels that were the remains of Paris stone mines. The catacombs were not available to the public until the late 18th century. The caverns were a minor tourist attraction during that time, but since they opened to the general public in 1867, they became quite popular with tourists from all over the world.
This is how it all started. Before, Paris used to bury its dead on the outskirts of the city, but that habit changed with the rise of Christianity since they believed they should be buried under or around its churches. By the 10th century, many of Paris’s parish cemeteries were within the city, but As the population of Paris grew, the number of the dead started to increase.
Initially, all the churches had their own cemeteries, but the growth of the city and the dead didn’t leave any more space for other people to be buried. The graveyards became overpopulated, their surrounding areas were suffering from disease brought on by contamination from the corpses. This problem was not helped by the fact that there were many mass graves open all around the city. After multiple complaints, the council of state evacuated all the graves from the main city to abandoned quarries.
The idea to use the abandoned quarries for the storage of the bones was established on 1786 by the Lieutenant General of Police, Alexandre Lenoir , M. Thiroux de Crosne, and the Inspector General of Quarries, Charles Axel Guillaumot. After the abandoned quarry was blessed by a priest, then came in the transfer of all the Parisian remains. Tip cars covered with a black veil were full with human remains. The bones were deposited in a wide well dug in land bought from a property and was...