What is the single most important influence on the classroom-learning environment?
Classroom management: a teacher’s ability to establish and maintain an environment that is suited to teaching and learning. The teacher possess a repertoire of procedures to ensure optimal learning for all students
What range of professional responsibilities do teachers need to accept in the classroom?
* 38 generic principles of classroom management
* Teachers do not control student’s behaviours; students control their own behaviors.
What ideas and strategies must teachers develop if they are to have a classroom that is characterized by a high level of on-task behaviour?
* Self-efficiency: Confidence in the ability to promote students’ learning and to achieve instructional goals. Teachers are more likely to engage in effective management behaviors when they believe they are capable of using those behaviors usefully.
* Professional Knowledge: Instructional techniques, cognitive psychology and child development
* Therefore we can define teaching as pre planned behaviour – founded in learning principles and child development theory and directed toward both instructional dilevery and classroom management – that increase the probability of effecting a positive change in student behaviour
If students are to display appropriate behaviour in class, what preplanning is necessary for teachers?
1.) Teaching is concerned with what teachers are able to control – their own behaviour – and this behaviour is pre-planned.
2.) The pre-planned behaviours are determined by the teacher’s professional knowledge, which guides the teacher in selecting appropriate behaviours. It is the application of this specialized body of professional knowledge and knowing why it works that makes teaching a profession.
3.) The teacher’s challenge is to select those behaviours that increase the probability of a corresponding behavioural change in the student. For this to occur, the...