In today’s competitive age Quality & productivity are the major focus area overall the world . Productivity & Quality is outcome of the process capability hence overall efforts are taken to improve capability using various statistical tools & techniques. Earlier & even today in many industry Fact about Problem solving are
- 90% of the Engineering problems are analyzed using” Atmospheric analysis”
- Root cause are established just by “thinking”
- Solutions given based on judgment, engineering guesses and Opinions will make the problem recur again . In this chapter various Quality tools & statistical techniques are reviewed & presented to fair understanding about those techniques there use & how to analyze & conclude. Main techniques are reviewed in this chapters are Design of experiment , Hypothesis, Process capability , FMEA, Measurement system analysis etc. Literature are gathered from Various Websites of Lear Corporation & various books available.
2. Design of Experiments
1. Why Design of Experiments
DOE tools helps to pinpoint the root causes using simple Data collection and analysis techniques
A Design of Experiment (DOE) is a systematic set of experiments which permits one to evaluate the effect of multiple factors on the output both individually and together.
It begins with the statement of experimental objectives and ends with the reporting of the results. It can eliminate the effect of all possible factors except the ones you have changed
Design of Experiment (DOE) is a proactive tool!
There is no such thing as a bad experiment, only poorly designed and executed ones.
Not every experiment will produce major results, but most will provide information.
New data prompts asking new questions and generates follow-on studies.
4.2.3 Steps in DOE
• Collect data
• Analyze data
• Conclusion on the cause or sources of variation
4.2.4 Applications of DOE