Melida Medina Professor Power
Reacting to the Past March 13, 2012
Writing assignment: Outline
Page 89: Letter to Serene Cosmo de’ Medici
* Galileo starts the letter by praising those who have protected the innocents who discovered new things or find new information and were viewed as a threat without being it (such as Galileo himself, even though he doesn’t voice it).
* Recalling on ways in which we have shown our thankfulness throughout the ages with statues and such, in point telling Serene Prince that he will have the greatest of all treasures, his name in a place in the heavens.
* Telling Serene Prince about the four stars that have been named after a person with as much virtue as his highness. These stars are like no other. They are but moons that orbit Jupiter at great velocity and circle the Sun every ten years. Galileo also enforces the idea of the Sun as the center of our universe.
* Galileo informs the Prince that it was God himself that decided for the stars to name after his highness. Galileo also goes on praising the qualities by which Serene Prince was chosen out of others. Galileo also calls himself unworthy because he was not chosen to teach Serene Mathematics.
* Galileo is “giving” Serene the stars as price to be added to his family.
Page 90-106: The Starry Messenger
* Galileo is counting the number of stars through his telescope that doesn’t change position relative to each other. He noticed that the stars are ten times larger than when it was discovered and viewed through the naked eyes.
* He is also looking at the Moon and calculated its distance from the earths diameter. He notices all the rough patches on the Moon and its uneven surface. Also finds similar characteristics in the Moon that can be found in Earth.
* Galileo gives a brief intro on the findings that he will later elaborate. He testifies that it was God’s grace which enlightened his mind.
* Galileo first heard of the idea of...