Gardzienice Theatre Association
Wlodzimierz Staniewski was born in 1950 in Bardo Slaskie. He is a director, theoretician, artistic director and manager. In 1976 Staniewski began to work with the Lublin theatre circle to establish the opening of a theatrical workshop. The Gardzienice was formally established on January 18, 1978 in Lublin. Staniewski named it The Centre for Theatre Practices. It is located in the village with the same name. The company rents a ruined post-Arian chapel in the former palace in Gardzienice. The village remains the group’s headquarters to this day.
The group consisted of ten members who lived and worked as a community. They shared a cramped room, poor food and practiced a hard and demanding trainign program. After founding the company, Staniewski and his collegues have taken more than forty expeditions to remote regions of Eastern and Southeast Poland and all over the world. These expeditions were intended to revive the natural environment of theatre and they encountered songs, myth, rituals and oral histories of indigenous communities. The company responded with its own artistry, offering fragments of performance and song.
The Gardzienice theatre has experienced an international reputation for its extraordinary theatre performances for over twenty-five years. The group does theatrical production, have been described as ‘music theatre’. The origins of each performance are in music and it is not an aesthetic choice but a reflection of Staniewski’s deeply held belief that musicality is “a key which opens heart and soul” enabling a profound relationship with its instigator.
From the moment it settled in the village of Gardzienice, the Centre for Theatre Practices started undertaking all kinds of ventures, not only pertaining to art but also environment, restoring buildings and adapting them for performances, rehearsals, concerts, and other public presentations.
The Arian chapel adjoining the...