Name: _____________________________ Biology B - Saunders
Unit 3.01 and 3.02 – Classification
Flipped Recording Link: http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/coiTlLfvQD
1. What is binomial nomenclature? A two part scientific name using Latin words.
2. Why do we use scientific name? Some species have common or similar names so scientist use scientific names to communicate.
3. What is the scientific name for humans? Homo Sapiens
4. What is taxonomy? The science of naming & classifying organisms
5. What is Phylogeny? The evolutionary history for a group of species.
6. What were the groups in the 5 kingdom classification system? Monera ,Protista, fungi,plant,animal
7. Kingdom Monera was split into which two kingdoms?Archae and bacteria
8. What are the groups in the 6 kingdom classification system? Plantae, Animalia,Fungi,Protista,Eubacteria,Arachaebacteria
9. The newest classification system uses Domains, what are the tree Domains?Archea,Eukaya,Bacteria
10. List the characteristics of each prokaryotic Domain.
Archaea | Bacteria |
Older type of bacteriaLive in extreme habitats Thermal hot springsVolcanic ventsAcidic poolsExtremely salty water | Newer type of bacteria Many cause disease Some are beneficialDecomposers in ecosystemLiving in your body to break down food |
11. What are the four kingdoms that belong to the Domain Eukarya?kingdom Protista kingdom fungi kingdom plantae kingdom Animalia
12. List the characteristics of each Kingdom.
Protista | Fungi | Plantae | Animalia |
Most are single celled (microscopic) there are a few multicellular protists. Some are heterotrophic some are autotrophic | All eukaryotic.Some are unicellular, some are multicellular.Contain cell walls made of chitin.Decomposers.Mushrooms, yeasts, molds, etc. | Eukaryotic.Multicellular.Photosynthetic, autotrophs | Eukaryotic.Multicellular.Heterotrophic. |