How to Approach the ACC Research Paper
1. Do your research in the library , on the Web, etc.
2. Read, absorb, process, understand the issues and then attempt to present the issue in your own words.
3. Do not cut-and-paste!
4. Make your explanations logical and easy to understand and follow
5. Employ all that you have learned in the class, if applicable, to the events in the crisis
6. The causes and origins of the crisis are the most important parts of the paper – concentrate on those issues and devote about ½ of the paper to them
7. Keep your explanations and answers short, but logical
8. Include your sources of research in bibliography
9. Do not quote directly!
10. The list of questions is just a backbone for your paper – you can cover other issues of importance as well
Asian Currency Crisis
The following is the list of questions for the paper:
1. How did the Asian Currency Crisis Start?
The Asian Financial Crisis was ignited somewhat by financial intervention from the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, encouraging the Asian economies to relax capital controls. The crisis originated in Thailand with the financial collapse of the Thai baht. The Thai Baht was initially pegged to the US dollar and was supported by Thailand foreign currency reserves. When the Thai Baht suffered massive currency devaluation due to a severe financial overextension, which was partly, real estate sector driven, the government exhausted all of its foreign reserves to defend the peg and was finally forced to float the Baht. At that time, Thailand had acquired a burden of foreign debt that made the country effectively bankrupt even before the collapse of its currency. The crisis in Thailand sparked a chain of events causing the neighboring Asian economies to slump contributing to market declines in the United States, Europe and Russia.
The crisis started in Thailand with the financial collapse of the Thai baht after the Thai government was forced to...