LAS 432 Week 5 Midterm (Package)
LAS 432 Midterm (Version 1)
• Page 1
1. Question: (TCO 1) The Neolithic Revolution was a result of
2. Question: (TCO 1) Francis Bacon argued that scientific method differed from logic and mathematics in that
3. Question: (TCOs 2 & 8) Rapid urbanization in Britain during the 19th century was the result of
4. Question: (TCOs 2 & 8) The introduction of four uniform time zones in the United States was a direct result of
5. Question: (TCO 4) Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of Wiki art?
6. Question: (TCO 4) According to Winner, the use of computer technologies to supervise workers is
7. Question: (TCO 8): The most culturally influential class in Industrial Britain was
8. Question: (TCO 11) Which of the following is NOT a scholarly resource?
9. Question: (TCO 12) Bill Joy argues that the most dangerous aspect of GNR technologies is
10. Question: (TCO 12) The unintended effects of e-mail are
• Page 2
1. Question: You must complete all three essays. These essays are worth 50 points each, so please take the time to think through your answers and review them before submitting. These essays should be a minimum of five paragraphs in length each. They should contain a clear thesis statement in the first paragraph (an answer to the question!). Make sure your explanation is clear and that you provide specific examples. Any quotes from the readings or external materials must include quotation marks and an in-text citation. Failure to identify quoted material could result in a 0 for the exam and a formal academic dishonesty charge. (TCOs 1 & 2) Why does Cowan believe it is important to examine technologies in the context of technological systems? What advantage does this broader perspective give to planners? Give a specific current technological example (not it the reading) in support of your answer.