Review question #5
What is the role of the information systems function in a business?
• Describe how the information systems function supports a business.
• Compare the roles played by programmers, systems analysts, information systems managers, the chief information officer (CIO), chief security officer (CSO), and chief knowledge officer (CKO).
Nowadays businesses need information systems to operate. The formal organizational unit responsible for information technology services is called the information systems department and has for purpose to maintain the hardware, software, data storage and networks compromising the firm’s IT infrastructure. The focus of this department is on the development of solutions for business problems rather than simply describing them.
This department is made of seven different Info system specialists:
1) Programmers are highly trained technical specialists who write the software instructions for computers.
2) Systems analysts constitute the principal liaisons between the information systems groups and the rest of the organization. The systems analyst’s job is to translate business problems and requirements into information requirements and systems.
3) Information systems managers lead teams of programmers and analysts, project managers, physical facility managers, telecommunications mangers, or database specialists.
4) Chief information officer (CIO) is a senior manager who oversees the use of information technology in the firm.
5) Chief security officer (CSO) is responsible for information systems security in the firm and has the principle responsibility for enforcing the firm’s information security policy. The CSO is responsible for educating and training users and IS specialists about security, keeping management aware of security threats and breakdowns, and maintaining the tools and policies chosen to implement security.
6) Chief knowledge officer (CKO) helps design programs and...