I : General presentation of the company :
Ikea is the name of a furniture retailer, has often assemble, Swedish origin. Ingvar Kamprad who was only 17 years old founded the company in 1943. Initially, he sold stationery (pens, wallets, picture frames, tablecloths, watches, jewelry and nylon stockings) by correspondence, taking advantage of the tour of the milkman to deliver its products to the nearest railway station.
Since then, IKEA has become a leading player in the world of distribution, employing 118,000 people in 40 countries / territories and recording an annual turnover of over 19 billion euros.
* 1945 : First IKEA advertisements in the local press. The door-to-door wasn’t really efficient for his new ambitions, Ingvar started to advertise in the local press.
The first furniture was proposed in 1947
* 1951 : Publication of the first IKEA catalog. Ingvar sees the possibility to distribute furniture to a larger scale. He removes the other products in his assortment to focus on furniture at low prices.
First IKEA catalog
* 1953 : The first permanent exhibition of furniture opens in Älmhult. The opening of the first exhibition hall is a decisive stage in the development of IKEA concept. For the first time, customers can see and touch the furniture before ordering.
* 1955 : IKEA begins to create its own furniture
* 1956 : The furniture was up oneself in flat packages. When products are designed to be packed in flat packs and mounted by the client, their cost decreases substantially. A load has a larger number of items, storage space is reduced, the cost of labor decrease and the products are better protected during transport. The customer enjoys a reduced price and carries more easily produced at home.
* 1958 : Inauguration of the first IKEA store in Älmhult. An exhibition area of 6700 square meters.
Since 1963, IKEA becomes international (Norway, Denmark, Australia, Canada, Austria, Netherlands, France in 1981, Belgium,...