Reducing Stress among Students Summary
We teachers have felt at some point in our teaching routine stressed because we feel that we are not getting to the students, we have felt that they are out of focus that we cannot transmit the syllabus objective, they seem to be in another world. It is very clear that a nice relationship with our students is very important. But a good relationship is not the only key to success.
But what do we know about Student´s stressing factors caused in a daily routine? The syllabus can trigger stress when the syllabus is higher than their level, when they do not know how to do it, or when what is expected from them is not known.
How does stress affect learning?
* Defensive avoidance
* No sense of control
* Sense of loss and failure
* Feeling that they don´t belong
* Dropout rate increases
How can teachers help students to reduce stress?
* Choose a syllabus that corresponds to their level
* Adapt syllabus to their needs
* Be clear on what is expected from them
* Activities should be enough to different learning styles
* Feedback (written comments, testing enough, tell them how they are doing)
* Use request instead of command
* Give choices in assignments
* Explain assignments so they know the purpose
* Friendly attitude
* Class participation
* Get to know them by name
* Use appropriate humor
* Talk personal stories
* Develop advising skills
* Be open to the role of mentor
* Help them improve studying habits
HOW DOES STRESS AFFECT STUDENTS LEARNING?
WHAT CAN TEACHERS DO TO HELP STRESS INOCULATION?