Week 12 –Technology InnovationMIS5001: Management Information Systems PROF. STEVEN L. JOHNSON Twitter: @StevenLJohnson http://stevenljohnson.org http://community.mis.temple.edu/mis5001fall10johnson/
2. Today’s Agenda Announcements Case Discussion Discussion Activity: 2SPA
3. Case Study Discussion What, historically, have been Apple’s competitive advantages? Are the PC industry competitive dynamics favorable or problematic for Apple? How sustainable is Apple’s competitive position in MP3 players? How sustainable is Apple’s competitive position in smart phones? Compare Apple’s strategy for iPad to Amazon’s strategy for Kindle. Which company do you think will be more successful?
4. 100-Second Reflection1. What would you like to remember at the end of the semester about today’s cases?2. What do you have more questions about?3. Any other comments?
5. For Further Discussion Guest Speaker: Mathias Kirchmer TopCoder Case Follow-Up What App are you Reading? Two-Sided Markets Getting pricing right: subsidize quality- and price-sensitive Cope with winner-take-all competition Avoid envelopment
6. 2SPA: 2-Sided Platform Activity Divide into 4 groups Pick one of the following products: Bicycle (e.g., kids, commuter, racing, mountain, BMX) Furniture (e.g., desk, chair, sofa, table) Jewelry (e.g., necklace, bracelet, earrings) Backpacks, Handbags, or Luggage Pretend you are marketing manager with goal to develop recurring revenue via introduction of digital platform into your physical good. Who are the two sides and which do you charge? What is the value proposition for each?
7. For More Information PROF. STEVEN L. JOHNSON EMAIL: STEVEN@TEMPLE.EDU Twitter: @StevenLJohnson http://stevenljohnson.org http://community.mis.temple.edu/mis5001fall10johnson/