Various Security Forces and Agencies and Their Mandate
Various Security Forces and Agencies and Their Mandate is a topic in UPSC Civil Services Mains GS Paper 3. Splitting up the keywords – we get two areas to focus – (1) Various Security Forces and Agencies (2) Their Mandate – ie. the authority to carry out a policy or action. There are external and internal threats to security of India and different specialized forces of India deal with these threats. The external threats are handled often by the Armed Forces under the Ministry of Defense, while internal threats are managed by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Security Forces Dealing with External Threats
The defense forces are the primary force responsible for security of the country, and they come under the authority of Ministry of Defense. Paramilitary forces too aid in defeating external threats (they manage internal security issues too), but are managed by Ministry of Home Affairs.
The defense forces are divided into four sub-heads.
1. Indian Army Personnel.
2. Indian Air Force Personnel.
3. Indian Navy Personnel.
4. Indian Coast Guard Personnel.
The paramilitary forces are divided into two major sub-heads, which are again divided into specialized security agencies.
1. Central Police Organizations (CPO) – Tier 1.
2. Central Paramilitary Forces (CPF) – Tier 2.
ClearIAS.com has already covered the detailed list of Defense Forces and Paramilitary Forces of India in an earlier post.
Security Forces Dealing with Internal Threats
As mentioned earlier, the paramilitary forces play a crucial role in tackling internal security issues.
Paramilitary forces :
1. Railway Protection Force – CPO.
2. Central Reserve Police Force(CRPF) – CPO.
3. Other CPOs.
4. Border Security Force – CPF.
5. National Security Guard – CPF.
6. Central Industrial Security Force -CPF.
7. Sashastra Seema Bal – CPF.
8. Defence Security Corps –...