Basic Skills ofa Manager:
1. Conceptual Skills
• The mental ability of a manager to coordinate all the organizations interests and activities.
• A manger with good conceptual skills can visualize a bigger picture of the organization.
2. Human Skills
• Ability to work with, understand and motivate other people both individually and in groups by building relationships, empathizing and so on.
• This is the most important of the four skills of a manager.
3. Technical Skills
• Ability to use tools, procedures and techniques of a specialized field in which the manager is working.
• It refers to the skills required in marketing functions like marketing, Finance, Operations and Human resources which is necessary for day to day functioning.
4. Political Skills
• Ability to enhance one’s position, build a power base and establish the right connection.
• Political skills can be built through networking, lobbying and developing public relations.
• It helps a manger in wielding influence over others and to lead them.
3 Skills Every 21st Century Manager Needs:
1. Code Switching Between Cultures
The three steps involved in easy switching between two cultures are:
• Diagnosing the challenges faced due to cultural switching
• Making small but meaningful adjustments that are appropriate in the new cultural setting, true to values through behaviour that blend elements of both cultures
• Fully appreciate the value of code-switching by focussing on how the desired outcome aligns with personal goals and values.
2. Wielding Digital Influence
To build an effective online network focus in needed on three things:
Reputation is build by offering interesting content, drawing attention to their web presence and motivating others to circulate and act on their ideas.
Reputation in digital world can be assessed through services such as Klout and Identified which gives scores on basis of how many...