▪ What continent was carved up by the European countries in the 19th Century?
“The Dark Continent” - Africa
▪ What were the three reasons for imperialism/expansionism?
Needed to expand because of rapid growth
Needed better military
Needed more markets
▪ What was the name of Rudyard Kipling poem?
Mandalay, Gunga Din
▪ Name two anti-imperialists:
Gamaliel Bradford, and Mark Twain
▪ Why were they opposed to imperialism?
They were opposed because they believed it violated the credo of republicanism.
▪ Was Commodore Perry opposed or for imperialism?
He was for Imperialism
▪ What was his reasoning?
He wanted to spread imperialism to Japan make it a coaling base.
▪ When did Perry sail to Japan?
▪ What did he deliver and what was the purpose of this?
The purpose was to have a coaling base there.
▪ Who did the US buy Alaska from?
▪ Alaska was seen important by Seward. Why?
Gain power in Asia- Pacific region, to expand.
▪ What year was Alaska purchased? For how much?
In 1867 for 7.2 million
▪ What did critics of Seward call the purchase?
▪ Who were the first Americans to travel to Hawaii?
▪ What did Americans build in Hawaii?
Coaling stations and naval bases
▪ What was Queen Liliuokalani’s reaction to the US Presence?
She was forced to give up her throne
▪ What did the US do?
Built Pearl Harbor there
▪ What did President Cleveland say about this?
Sign peace treaties with Hawaii to use Pearl Harbor as export
▪ Under what president was Hawaii annexed?
The Spanish American War: