Essay topics: Choose ONE
1. Governments have the responsibility to ensure that good laws and regulation are effective.
Businesses have the responsibility to make a profit within that legal regime. These are
different roles that should never be blurred. Discuss.
2. Self-interest is the bottom-line of human motivation. That fact means that reward and
punishment are the only really effective tools for a responsible manager. Discuss
3. A strong organisational culture is the surest way to avoid having the organisation's name in
the media for the wrong reasons. Discuss.
4. Edward Snowden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden) has committed a crime
and should be punished. Discuss.
5. The environment should be protected because and only because human livelihoods
depend upon it. Discuss.
6. In a multi-cultural society, the only practical expression of common values is the law of the
land. People have their own moral principles but they cannot reasonably expect to be any
more ethical than simply obey the law. Discuss.
7. In any struggle between individuals' character and the culture of the organisation where
they work, the culture will almost always win. Discuss.
The essays should show understanding and use of THEORETICAL concepts in ethics.
Positions, points of view need to be argued and evidence needs to be used.
A good essay is planned, with a clear structure that enables the reader to follow the
argument. It is usually better to provide headings and sub-headings to indicate the structure
and provide a guide to the reader about how each section contributes to the overall